Thursday, February 04, 2010

Combined Insurance

Yesterday I had a job interview.

YaY for me~ .........ummmmm. hmmm. let me start again.
got to the office and the man taht had called me the day before greeted me. Ron. I turned to shake his hand ........ I knew him. He was one of my customers! He was just as surprised.
I had to fill out this 3 page questionaire. Then I sat and waited.
I really didn't now much about the job except for what the ad had said ......... Abbotsford based ....... on the job training ....... customer service management trainee ......... insurance ........ So I went in thinking it was an office in Abbotsford that i would be working out of. Providing Customer service to existing clients, while learning how the insurance industry worked.
I sat in a room with a suit and Ron while the suit asked me a series of questions and told me about the business.
Accident and disability insurance. Traveling throughout the district - which is from Hope to Langley and everything in between. visiting current clients and educating them on new opportunities with their policies. Gaining more clients. Cold Canvassing. Goal reaching. Sales driven. Paying for my own gas, and car maintenance. 3 week training in Calgary. Commission based ...........
I learned that the next time someone asks me if I consider my self lucky, the best answer is, I don't believe in luck.
Tell me about yourself - what do you want to know? I don't know how to answer that! What will make me a better candidate than the other candidates for the job? How would I describe myself using 3 words? What goals have I set for myself and what goals have a reached? Where do i see myself in 3 years? In 10? Why do you want to work for Combined insurance? What do you like about sales?
then I had to take a test. a Written test. A test that had math in it.
I did my best. Hope it was good enough
What do you think?

2 comments:

steph said...

If you don't get it consider it a practice round, the important thing is you are putting yourself out there. Not an easy task the rejection sucks!

Kristi said...

i don't want it - as soon as i clued in to commision sales and Calgary for 3 weeks and driving all over the lower mainland. I did't give the answers they wanted to hear. I wasn't a complete asshole, but when he asked me if I could drop everything and go to Calgary on a moments notice ........ i was honest