Wednesday, December 01, 2010

to Live or Not to live

just becuase I didn't live with my boyfriend or have not been living with him for very long before I decided that I was going to marry him, doesn't mean that a marriage won't work. Or that I don't know him or how he is or who he is or ...........
i have a really hard time with the cop out that you have to live with someone one first in order to marry them just to get to know them. To get to know if you can live with them or not.

Isn't that what dating is for?

  • Research indicates that people who live together prior to getting married are more likely to have marriages that end in divorce. — The Boston Herald


  • A recent study on cohabitation concluded that after five to seven years, only 21 percent of unmarried couples were still living together. — The Boston Herald

  • 55 percent of cohabitating couples get married within five years of moving in together. Forty percent of couples who live together break up within that same time period. — Annual Review of Sociology
  • The survey, released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that 70 percent of those who lived together for at least five years did eventually walk down the aisle.
  • But these marriages are also more likely to break up. After 10 years, 40 percent of couples that had lived together before marriage had broken up. That compares with 31 percent of those who did not live together first.

  • 3 comments:

    steph said...

    My personal opinion is that it can go either way. I never lived with my first husband and we are not together and I do live with my current partner and it works so much better.I think it is a change in how people do things that causes divorce. People never used to "live in sin" and now they do. Divorce rates are higher because it is easier to get divorced not because people live together first.

    Kristi said...

    there is a handful of people out there that believe you can't possibly marry someone without living with them first.
    A lot of these same people move in with their new *date* within the first year of the relationship.
    I recently found out I yet again work with someone that believes that VERY strongly. and Can not believe i would Even CONSIDER marrying before living with the man.
    Yes we live together now - but that was a circumstance thing. Had I not been injured, we would still be living seprately till we were married.
    I don't believe you need to "test drive" someone to know if you can spend the rest of your life togehter.
    but I guess that's the thing - from the people I have encountered that Do believe you MUST live with your spouse first. ......... that has always been their argument. The living with them part. Not Marriage and Forever. Just the being able to Live with them. Like a room-mate with benefits???

    In the End -- to each their own.
    I need the full committment. Half of one isn't my thing. If the other half is too far a stretch then he wouldn't be the person for me. And that's okay. If I just wanted to be somemone's girlfriend for the rest of my life I'd go do that. It's just not what I am into. Other's -- like the one and one's I have worked iwth in the past ..... it's theirs. and That's okay Too!

    steph said...

    The only thing I disagree with is your commitment comment...Commitment has nothing to do with your living arrangement. Married people cheat all the time and people who live together are faithful... It all has to do with the person. I do think we both agree that people get married way to early and way to fast without considering the long term stuff.