Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Anniversary

My parents anniversary is next monday - 47?? years I think. I am having a dinner for them here this Saturday. I look at the ups and downs they have been through in their lives. How they grew up together. High-school sweethearts. It makes me happy for them and envious. My sister has the same thing with her husband.
I realize Lyle and I will never be married that long. I can't imagine being alive to see our 47th anniversary. Till death do us part ...... will we even make it 10. The less I drink, the less we have in common the more he irritates me. Its not his fault, he is who he is. and He is a great man. We have the same goals ......... i think. House, children, savings account? The difference is, I set about to make it happen. Why do I have to drag him or carry him like a lead weight with me? I have let him lead ............ i guess that's the thing about the engagement period and the planning of a wedding. The old myths are true. That's the time when you see just what your future spouse is all about.

2 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

47 years certainly is admirable. My parents are at.... hmmm... I think it is 42 years (07/04/1970?) is that right?! My dad always makes jokes about being married on independance day and having lost his for life =P
Yes it isnt easy Kristi. I don't think any relationship is regardless of whether marriage enters into the equation or not. It's compromise and balance, respect and gratitude, love and acceptance. None of us is perfect or whole. I think what we can learn from our parents is that they are able to negotiate between each other through the hard times. When things get challenging you have to learn to work together and find the harmony. What is it they say? Nothing worthwhile was easy?

steph said...

I heard a story about a woman who was asked what the secret was to a long lasting marriage... her answer? She never considered divorce... Murder, but not ever divorce.