Monday, October 29, 2012

Life is What it Is

Here we sit, 10 days before birthdays.  10 days till I turn 43 and my beautiful daughter turns 14 - WoW - i miss that chubby little ball of energy.  Now she is a budding woman.
We are still trying to sell the house.  My dreams of space and a 2nd bathroom on hold.  My sister called yesterday to asked if I could take the boys for the weekend.  I of course will!  I don't, however, like the reason.  They are going to look at a house on the island.  Bowser to be exact.  There are so many, many reasons why this upsets me.  Yet I understand why she would go look and also why she would entertain the thought of making a new life there.  Her husband making the attempt to move his business ......... that would be the biggest gamble.  They need an income -
It was bad enough when my brother moved away - he has of course been in contact with her to share his experience of raising his children away from their grandparents.  The sadness he feels that his kids don't have relationships with us, with their grandparents.  He is grateful to have a cuzn' close by and a long lost aunt which made the transition easier in the beginning, but then they started a family,  That's when they really felt it.
In the end Sister must do what i right for her and her family.  A big house and acreage is awesome - i can totally understnd why they would want to do this. I will support her in whatever she decides.  She is my sister and I love her.  But she might as well be moving to California or Alberta for how far she will be

5 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

Whoa whoa whoa I should read more regularly! WTH!! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! (for me LOL)
Yeah it *feels* far from the mainland. It's actually not too bad, since Nanaimo--> Horseshoe Bay isn't tooo bad. But it's definitely a concerted effort to travel for sure. Is Bobo still in the Loops?
The thing about the island for Thor to consider is the drastic drastic change in population. I mean the whole valley we live in here is 78000 people. Business-wise unless he worked out of Nanaimo I think he would be hurtin for certain. These smaller communities are difficult in that respect.
Bowser is a terrific area; sooo close to the ocean, nice and rural, great place to raise kids. We looked there too when we first landed. Actually I looked at every house in my budget from Bowser all the way up to where we are now. For me, I like where I am right smack between 2 "major" (if you can call them major) cities. And yet I'm rural, my taxes are stupid low, I have a half acre that's one block over from elem school, and a mortgage that'll be paid off in 12 yrs. A block from the river, a few from the ocean... love love love it.
But yes, to see my friends over where you are- it's tough. It's an overnight trip that means I have to impose on someone to stay over. From Nanaimo up, there are a lot less shopping options... no Chapters... no Sears... it's just a different life. Pro: more family oriented. Con: small city living, less is more kinda thing.
Wow, that would be one major decision.
I wish them luck on exploring that!

holymotherofgod said...

And of course again, happy birthday!!! And I hope you do sell the house soon so YOU can make plans

Kristi Lou said...

my mom-in-law lives in Campbll River. I have been to her house once. We are trying to figure out how to get there for a Christmas visit ........ I just don't see how it will happen. Its a 200 trip to just spend one day. (leave friday night after work. Home Sunday) Hardly seems worth it. and that's just how it would be to go see them. The only time I've been was in 2008! It would suck to see my nephews only every 5 yrs

holymotherofgod said...

Yep I know. I just went to my parents place in the Gulf Islands. Luckily now that I have a small car its only $35 in gas rtn trip but its $45 for ferry so total $80 to spend the weekend there. But when I had my truck to head to the mainland back and forth it was $150 in gas and $65 ferry each way (mind you that was 2 adults) so a very very expensive trip. That is the downside of living here =( BUT it can be way way cheap to fly here. I went last yr November 11 to see my friend Kelly and Harbour Air had seats on sale for $40 bucks to Vancouver from Comox Harbour and $50 return. WAAAY cheaper and a 35 minute flight direct to Coal Harbour in Vancouver. Then I skytrained it in to Surrey, very very easy.

holymotherofgod said...

any update??