Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Virgo Thing

So what the Hell!!

Now I fight with Mitch!

Service.
he wants me to punch in how many people have walked in the door when they come in.
He also wants me to serve one table at a time.
Now at dinner,this is something that can be done. At lunch. Not so much.
Basically it goes like this....
table comes in i seat them. I get their beverage order. I go punch it in. At the same time punch in how many at the table. Then get the drinks. Take it to the table. then get their food order. Punch it in......Then I can get to my next table.....
now this is not too much to ask when you have more than one girl on and the tables are not all coming at once.
I have a habit of serving all the tables at the same time. That way the customer feels as though they are getting served promptly. CAuse of course at lunch thats what happens....,. All At once.
So he wants me to take away the time that I would be seating the next table to Punch in someones drinks and how many at a table. Instead of just getting their drinks and grabbing some menus for the next table on the way to seating them.
Multi-tasking.
I punch everything in at the same time. Drinks, food everything. And if i have been hit by 3 tables at once I put them all in at once.
Orders to the kitchen one after the other is a No-No by his standards.
Even if its by a different server waiting for their turn at the computer.
I believe in service to the table first.
Not to the kitchen.
Is that so wrong?
Restaurant chaos should never be on the floor.
Yet he feels very differently and his girlfriend that works the floor listens. So he feels its all good. This does not make it any better. She doesn't know. She's a legal secretary for Pete's sake! I've even had complaints of slow service about her.....yet, If I say anything.....woa....she's an owner and the boss's girlfriend! so clearly I'm just WRONG and mis-informed.
So I yelled at Mountain over the phone and then he came over and I yelled soem more while he was changing the oil in my car. (i'm going to see BoBo) this Friday. Now I have vented here.
I am not the most perfect server in the world.
Lord knows I've made and make mistakes.
i will comply cause it is his restaurant not mine.

How do you like to be served? I mean....correct me if I am off base. I'll pout for a bit. but maybe I need to be put in my place.

The floor is yours Blogger Dudes!
Customers and Servers alike I'm sure have some interesting Views on this

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm
this sounds like you need my 2 cents
I have done some serving just a bit but anyway
you get six tables you take six drink orders and food if they are ready you punch in what you got make the drinks and head out for more seating the other 3 tables at once
anyone who thinks that kitchens should get their bills timed nicely should go work in a bank
even Chef was reasonable about that
You serve the tables as they come in and in whatever number they do
I beleive you are a good server and especially at lunch
if you dont agree then its wrong and I dont agree either
if the kitchen wants to go bill by bill whatever but you cant wander around remembering 6 orders so you can soft fill the bill rail in the kitchen you have already moved on to the next business at hand

jewels said...

i agree with B
read the table
DRINKS always first and in order
i get pissed if i am there WAY before another table yet they get their food and drinks first.
if you only focus on one table, you ignore the others. that makes no sense!

Kristi said...

a big thing for BM hehe....thats funny....those are his initials!
Anyhow.....he wants to know as soon as people walk in how many.
he seems to always need to know how many left to order.
I don't fricken know right now!!!!
I'm in mid think of what to do next! Don't FFF with my train of thought!

Thank-you very much for the compliments. And the confidance in my skills. Its much appreciated.
Wish he would hear me

Shanna said...

Oh you have got to be kidding me! He is out of his mind if he thinks you can serve only one table at a time at lunch. People are on very limited time - so to go back to the computer every time you take an order would be a death toll on your lunch business.

Do it when you can, but he needs to be realistic about what the costumers need.

steph said...

I totally agree day and night are different. I do not want small chatter at lunch. Lunch is not leisurly, usually, I want in and out and I just want the server to do her job. Now dinner there is more time. Appies, drinks time in between for conversation. It is a totally different atmosphere with totally different expectations.

Anonymous said...

I've been to your restaurant and been served by the owners girlfriend.(I know this because I overheard her talking to another table)Her service sucks! She is really sweet, but she doesn't have a clue what she is doing. If everyone has to start serving like her I won't be back. No matter how much I liked my rice bowl!

Winnie said...

Chefs are prima donnas...
Drinks, menus first
he just needs to make food in a timely manner and never mind the rest

Anonymous said...

I think you know best Kristi ... you have been doing it long enough to know. Tell him to serve the tables for a few lunch times versus dinner times and maybe he'll get it. Or lose customers ... his choice!

Kristi said...

yes Aggs. I did Yell that at him the other day.
but whatever, Its like I've gone back in a time warp. The non-listening boss time warp.
I will just do it. Cause as he said....my name isn't on the side of the building....

Chris said...

Maybe he could come out and get the info himself?