Thursday, January 17, 2008

DNR

I've been working a bit extra in the evenings over the last week.
boss Danielle's gramma had a heart attack and went into coma last week. So she has been at Royal Columbian waiting for her to wake up. I don't mind. I mean, I am tired, but it helps make up for the hours i lost in the beginning of the month. Lyle seems more than happy to help! Last SAturday he was with Charlotte virtually ALL day without me.
Last night I got the call that she will need me in tomorrow night, can i do it? They are going to try to wake up gramma. I hope its a positive outcome for gramma whatever might happen.
This woman has died a few times in the last week. With a DNR on her chart, her husband told them to go against that and rescitate. She is being kept alive by many, many machines.
Gramma and grampa are in their mid-70's. they have been togehter since they were 10 years old! Can you imagine?
I can either think thats icky, wierd, or wow. They are devote Christians.
Grampa went against her DNR wishes cause he couldn't bare the thought of not having fought for her. If there was or is a chance that she could live.........
i have been praying for the family.
Gramma is such a funny lady. I will miss her terribly if it doens't work out how they hope it will. But I mostly worry for the ones left behind.
After 65 years with the same lady. Its gonna be a hard road for grampa.........

what would you do?
what do you want? DNR?

3 comments:

jewels said...

NO! I have told Scott DNR! Especially if I have died twice already - I mean come on.

We are cruel beings -
We are more compassionate to our pets by putting them to sleep. Too many machines and chemicals to keep us alive - keeping those who have to watch us clinging to hope.
Let me go - when it's my time - let me go.

Lee said...

ohh, what a sad situation. I cant even imagine how I would feel if my loved one had a DNR. I 'get it', but how heartwrenching. Especially for all the 'what-ifs?' - oh my heart goes out to Grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Some people can't let go and I can understand that at that time of life ... very sad. It's all about Grandpa not being able to say goodbye really.
Reality shows that for couples of that age/stage, when one goes the other usually goes within 6 months.
I'd let her go and be grateful for the good time you had together.