Friday, July 04, 2008

Berry Fest Bathroom Incident at Mitch Millers

I just feel soo bad.

I've been to Berry Fest. I've been to Berry Fest with Charlotte. I've been to Berry Fest with a pottie training Charlotte. I would NEVER dream of going into one of the stores to use their washroom. It blows me away the amount of people that do!
There are port o'potties set out for Berry Fest Goers. They are on every street. yet we still had to do the thing I hate and tell people they can't use ours unless they are a customer. They always look at you with disbelief. We had line ups at our bathroom door with people that weren't our paying customers! and our guests had to wait in line!
One of the girls allowed a woman with her child and another lady to come in during the dinner rush. I saw it, but she had already been told she could, so I left it. A line was slowly beginning to form as guests were trying to use the washroom. Then I got the call from the office ..... that woman is not a customer. she doens't get to use the washroom, ask her to leave.
so over I went to survey the situation. Lady in bathroom that is not ours, Line behind ours, plus this woman and child. I apologized and told her i was sorry, but our bathrooms are for restaurant guests only, but that there was an outhouse just around the corner for the public. Now becasue she had already been let in by the other girl she turned on me like a panther. She was pissed! I apologized again, but that is restaurant policy. She stormed out. Than she came back to tell me she would never come in ever again because that was the rudest thing that had ever happened to her.
I feel awful. i am sorry. But I was following orders. i did what I was told to do.
Why do people make us have to do that? i just don't get it. I can't imagine wandering in to use the bathroom. What do they do on Robson Street? People are shopping and walking around. Making a day of it. Do they wander in to the Cactus club or Red Robin just to use the washroom? Would they even attempt to? What about the apartments? Do they go to peoples doors and ask? Or the various shops, do they ask at them? there's bathrooms in the mall. Sure its a walk, but they are there.
Now our downtown is not so big, so I can't imagine more than an hour would be spent. Don't you pee before you leave the house? 7 - 11 is up the block. They have a public washroom. I really just don't get it. And of course during the festival there are public potties set out just for the public so they don't bother the stores and restuarants.
how many of you will wander into a restuarant and pee or poo?
Seriously. I have people that come just to poo! How gross is that?!!
Does Palliotti's down the street have the same problem? Or the FVI? Or what about the Bull n'Raven? how about the 3 teahouses? Do they have people wandering in to disrupt their guests and stink up the bathroom?
Sitting in a restaurant and watching a stream of people wander past you while you are trying to eat........
So for as rude as it may have seemed to this woman that I had to ask her to leave .... i think it was pretty rude of her to come in just to use our toilet and put me in the position of having to enforce a rule we shouldn't even have to enforce!

That being said, i still feel bad

1 comment:

Chris said...

Do not feel bad. You did the right thing. You had a job to do. Your boss did the right thing. You provide a bathroom for your customers. It would be nice to provide free facilities to the planet, but alas, free does not scale. The person who was not a customer was in the wrong. They should not expect free services from a business.

Whenever I stop at a McDonalds on the highway or something I always feel like I should buy something if I can to show appreciate for using the facilities, even if it is just a coke.