Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentines Weekend

Friday the 13th tomorrow.  Yikes!

Valentine's Day SAturday!
I am work, work, working.

So we will celebrate in the morning.  with hugs and kisses and chocolates I think.  Nothing extravagant.   Sunday is back to Grade 5 for me.  Ugh!I am really not down withthis project.  Why do I have to do so much?  and who do I complain to to make such ridiculous things Stop!
I mean the science project is fine.  Its the open-endedness that has too.  Thats why the teacher can't keep up with his students.  Give them 5 things to choose from.  If Johnny the go-getter wants to go get on soemthing not on the list let him.  But if you had a handful of kids all doing the same thing their own way......at least then the teacher would maybe be able to have a clue. but instead.......I have done all the research with Charlotte.  I have done all the work.  I have done all the editing.  I am and will be doing the backboard.  I have to do a chart or a graph or somthing to put on this stupid fucking backboard.  While the teacher merely gives them time once a week in the computer lab.  He has not so much as even gone over anything she has done thus far to make sure she is heading in the right direction.  (which she isn't BTW)  we Fff'd up on some of the stuff cuz she didn't bring her Duotang home last weekend to show me exactly 'what we need now' so I made her do a bunch of stuff that it turns out isn't even required. However, I am not going to back track cuz last weekend was Hell.  I will work in and work it out some how.  But this is sooooo  fucked up. and I have to let her have her own words and its just not good.
So I will let it be and let her be and see what she gets.  She has been sorking so  Frippin' hard on this thing.  I hope it shows and that she gets a decent mark regardless of some missing information.
It just makes me feeel like a failure too cuz I've been helping her so much.
Oh Well.  maybe one day teachers will teach again.  and I will dream of being able to afford private schooling.

Blog On

12 comments:

steph said...

I agree with the load that comes home from school, but I also know that my kid is pissing his time away staring out the window! He constantly has tons of homework, so I called another couple moms and they told me that their kids hardly had any. Turns out the "couple minutes" that Jake was getting to do his work was more like hours! he was just sitting there.

jewels said...

ohhh Kristi - my little muffin. private school teachers have even higher expectations. i hate to break it to you, but it gets worse. we send projects home - that is life. but id ont expect parents to do the project - i expect the kids to do the project. sure it's great if parents are able to provide extra guidance - but in this day and age, most kids are on their own so I make sure the project is something they can handle. and yes - i always give choices, b/c what works for one kids does not work for the other.
i dont give homework either Steph - unless it's an at home project - i always give time in class, but if a kid daydreams or screws around, they do have homework.

Kristi said...

I'm sure even you would be blown away Erin.

I have saved a couple of the notices that have been sent home.
this came home on the 26th of january......"this is just a reminder about the science fair. I have been looking through many of the students log books.............Many of the students look to be on track, and some are ahead of the game. I have some concerns with a few students. Can I ask that you look through your child's log book and see what kind of progress they are making. A lot of these projects need to be done at home........."
I met with the teacher the next day.
he had No Idea where Charlotte was in her studies.
along with the notice was a detailed timeline of where your child should be on what days. How thoughtful. Now a notice has been sent hom about e-mailing the stuff home so they can work on it here! This is a GRADE 5 project! They are 10/11
this amount of in depth work is faaaar too much.
Charley is working really hard and getting more done than I EVER thought she would. but its still way too much to expect from grade 5. And if the teacher is having a hard time keeping up on it, than its definantly too much!

steph said...

What the hell? What are they doing curing cancer?

Kristi said...

you would think!!

she is EXPECTED to have a -purpose/problem
- hypothesis
- procedure
- observation
- results
-this should "be organized in charts, bar graphs, line graphs, pictographs, timelines and photos...."
- logbook
- neat illustrations, titles and headings
- bibliography/references

all of which she is doing and I am attemtping to teach her how to do AT HOME

Beauty. I am in Grade 5 this weekend and Next.



why am I working and not on Welfare teaching Home schooling again?????

Kristi said...

High expectations are fine. Then teach.

Than just teach

steph said...

SERIOUSLY! That is a huge amount of work!

jewels said...

yeah - i have a problem with the letter - a HUGE problem!
Especially with this part - .............Many of the students look to be on track, and some are ahead of the game. I have some concerns with a few students. Can I ask that you look through your child's log book and see what kind of progress they are making. A lot of these projects need to be done at home........."

steph said...

So what can be done? Principal? What does a parent do when they think stuff isn't right or fair.

Kristi said...

I'm not ToTaLLY over reacting. It is truly nuts at her school. The principal needs to stay home and do her hair cause that is truly the only thing she is good for. She is useless to talk to. She IS a Stupid Woman!
so Between working overtime this weekend and being sick last weekend I am trying to help Charley with this. We will work on it again Sunday.
I promised her I would do all the typing if she does all the writing.
than next weekend I hope to get her backboard and the odds and ends done.

I will blow a gasket if ..........

Whatever. I will jsut blow it and that is all that needs to be said!

jewels said...

it's hard without admin support -
but it's a problem when the teacher is comparing her students in public.
i looked over the grade 5 IRP's and the teacher is actually doing what he is told to do - she does have to understand the scientific method (hypothesis, observation, ect) however - they could be doing it as a class.

Kristi said...

yes. I agree. They do need to know. However, that being it. They are not being taught.
that once again being my center for anger!
Teach My Kid!