Thursday, August 06, 2009

Time for a Bra

July 26th 2009

After being at the waterslides the day before I realized it was time to do the shop.
not that she is bouncing or huge or really even all that noticeable.  Just the roundness in that area that makes you look and think - is that?  is she?  But in a wet tank top -
Mountain and i couldn't say anything as she ran up to us, wet, after being in a pool close to where we were sitting.
she ran away and I blankly look at him.  Did he notice? "i think she needs a new tank top for her bathing suit"
"oh yah!"  he says. WE stare at each other not knowing what to say.  Just a blank look on both our faces.  
So the next day off we went for the mother daughter bra shop.  We went to my favorite store, Wal-Mart.  We went in and went to the kids section where the socks and underwear are.  I was talking to her and asking colors, holding them up.  "MOM!!!!"  I soon realized it had become that kind of moment.  I had forgotten.  The embarrassment.  So I held it up again really close to her.  She turned and pretended not to know me looking at the T-Shirts on the next rack.
Ahhh.  Well that was fun for a brief moment.  Then I decided not to embarrass her further.  People would walk by doing their own shop and i would play along with her and turn to look at the T-Shirts in the next rack too.  Finally we'd selected a few different sizes and styles to try on.
In to the change room I hobbled with my 10 year old daughter desperately trying to hide her selection as we walked.  I could see her scanning around, trying to get to the change room as quick as she could.  What if Someone from School saw Her?!!
In we went.  She was eager to try on her first bra.  hiding herself from me as she changed.  (odd i thought)  With each bra I asked her to put her hands in the air and bend over.  Checking material and straps.  How far do they ride up? do they ride up?  how are the seams - bulky?  smooth?  
We settled on 2 "Smart" sports bras in white size small.  They are more like really short tight tank tops.  
"mom, we HAVE to go through the self check-out!"
I grin to myself.  "of course Charlotte"

Our girl is Growing up

No comments: